Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cutthroat So Far

I was on the edge. At every point in the season, you make a decision on whether or not the season is quality. I felt going into the third episode that this season was going to underwhelm. There was a lot off with it after two viewings. For one, the cast just isn't that strong. Too many minor characters, I figured. If Abram is your most compelling male on the show, you're in trouble. He's just too hit or miss. Johnny "Domestic Violence" is great when he has a proper wingman to go along with his douchebaggery. But I just didn't see it.

Well, after last night's episode, I'm back in baby!! I'm not saying it was the greatest episode ever, probably not even top 10. But it was entertaining enough to change my opinion on the season. Let's give a quick rundown of the action:

Laurel drunkenly berated Big Easy for being fat, red headed, and small dicked. It was really vicious and below the belt, and completely unprovoked. Yet, she wasn't wrong, right? Objectively speaking, everything she said was correct. I think that's what hurt the most for Big Easy. Laurel just gets ridiculously truthful when she drinks. Maybe next time she'll get plastered and talk about the time her parents had to choose whether she would grow up as a boy or girl.

Johnny "Domestic Violence" falls down the stairs at a bar and gets into a fight with some locals. Or so I thought. Naturally the cameras miss the entire thing and we are left to use our imaginations on what happened. Damnit MTV! If I wanted to use my imagination, I wouldn't be watching the Challenge! I'd be writing for positive reasons. We can all agree that Johnny is one of the few people this season that needs to have a camera on him constantly. So why aren't the cameraman doing so? God this show can drive me "Johnny Bananas" sometimes.

Katie faceplanted on a challenge, got a gnarly black eye (TJ's word, not mine), and almost got into a fisticuffs with both Emily and Ty from Real World DC. Of course, those two wait until after their Real World season is over to do something interesting. Ty continues his goal to become the next Johnny "Domestic Violence" by outright saying he was going to hit Katie. Folks, it is going to happen. We are going to read that Ty got arrested for hitting a female. But have no fear. Because I'm sure Ty will be getting his fair share of hits in prison, especially hits to the butt (yes i made a cheap prison rape joke. I don't care at this point).

Shavonda offered us some brilliant logic at the end of the show. She quit, not even bothering to try to win the Gulag, and then rationalized her quitting by saying it was so her team would respect her. Huh? You know, if you look at Shavonda's history on this show, it's fairly impressive. She got into two almost-fights this season to go along with her genius performance last night. She popped an implant on a previous challenge, an instant all time classic. And she hooked up with CT on a roof in her first season. Is Shavonda a Challenge all star? Hells yes!

All in all, a highly entertaining episode that can sustain at least 3 mediocre ones until CT shows up. Or as I like to call it, Armageddon on steroids, because CT is capable of destroying the show, whilst being on steroids of course. But the best part of the episode last night was the part after the show when cast members wished TJ well after his awful BMX crash (go here for the story). The thing i couldn't help but notice was who they go to do the clip. Chet, Abram, Ayiiia, Cara Maria, and JD all lent their support. Really? That's the best they could get? I get Abram, but every else is either a rookie or just isn't that popular on the show. Where was Kenny, Johnny, and Evan? Bring back Coral or Beth, for christsakes. Seriously, what was Wes doing that conflicted with this shooting? I found this to be quite amusing. I'm sure TJ won't care that they sent out the JV team to wish him well. He's done 10 seasons of this show and doesn't even want to keep in touch with any of these guys except Kenny.

So as I've said before, I'm on board with this season. Unless it takes a significant nose dive, I'm pretty confident this will go down as a pretty good season. Until next time.....

No comments:

 
Custom Search