Monday, September 27, 2010

Thoughts on the Real World: Back to New Orleans Reunion Recap

The reunion for the Real World: Back to New Orleans aired a full week ago, and even now I'm not sure what to think about it. At times, I was compelled by the arguments and Ryan's typically abnormal behavior. At other times, I was bored just hoping for a fight. In the end, I was left with only one absolute truth: All of these people except for Knight and Jemmye are crappy people. It shocked me to come away from a great season with this feeling. How could I go from such a high to such a low? Well, I think I finally may have answers.

The main point is the entire season, Ryan carried the show, playing the huge psychotic asshole while everybody else reacted to that. Plus, the producers edited the show so the others came across as good folks who weren't that interesting. However, during the reunion, there was no hiding a lot of people's true nature. McKenzie, in particular, grew some major cajones. You never would have thought she had a real issue with anyone in the house during the season, but it turns out she absolutely detested Ryan and was only slightly more cordial with everyone else. I mean, she really tried to instigate. My theory is she wasn't prominently featured on the show during the season, and this was her last attempt to milk some fame out of the show and get on the Challenge. The funny part about McKenzie yelling at Ryan was Ryan still somehow owned her in their fight. You don't mess with Ryan, he is unstable.

Speaking of Ryan, even he frustrated me. On the show, he was insane in a great way. He spoke his unbalanced mind and caused some awesome drama. But on the reunion, he chose to play it coy and frustrate the host (Maria Menoulous, wtf happened to your career?). That is NOT the Ryan I signed up to the fan club for. I guess Ryan really just checked out of the show after he left. He doesn't seem to want to be a part of the show anymore, which is a crying shame because he could've been an all time great, dare I say CT-esque minus the steroids?

Knight was his usual great self, particularly the awfully timed joke kiss with Ashley. Immediately after, everyone was saying "why would you do that then?" To me, the thought was "Why wouldn't you do that? Perfect timing!!" I can relate as I always go for the funny line in awkward moments, usually to my detriment. But the one time it works, it makes it all worth while.

I still don't understand the awkwardness between Knight and Jemmye. From what I can guess, he still wouldn't commit to saying he loves Jemmye, or that they are even together. Jemmye didn't like this at all and it was very uncomfortable. Cue Knight's smooth kiss.

There were some other decent moments. I liked how everyone called Ashley out on her butting into everyone else's business. And I enjoyed Knight wondering if Eric was even in the show. That's what I thought!! Yay!! But there were other moments that made me just pissed off that i actually enjoyed the cast. For example, everyone ragging on Eric for being a creeper. Hey, I like the guy! Also, I really didn't like how much everyone was killing Knight over the prescription drug issue. The dude has some real problems, and you berate him because Ryan said he took some drugs? How about turning your anger to Ryan for falsely accusing Knight. By the way, was Ryan telling the truth or not? I never fully understood that part. Someone let me know. I can understand the rest of the cast not understanding why Knight wasn't more pissed about Ryan making things up. But I also thought Knight was just taking a zen approach to the whole thing. You can't let yourself get dragged into Ryan's bullshit. And as a result, Knight gets ripped apart. Now, Knight may have taken the pills, but no one knows for sure. But his roommates, except for Jemmye, came down hard on him. So for that, a big fuck you to Ashley, McKenzie, Sahar, Preston, and Ryan on behalf of Knight. I left out Eric because I'm pretty sure he wasn't around when this all went down.

Which brings me to Sahar. Now, during the show, I disliked her a bit. But she was a strong female who gave it as good as she got it so she got points. However, watching her on the reunion just made me want to beat her over the head with Ashley. She just bitched out everyone, making sure to give a healthy dose of judgmental bitch. And then, we got to her relationship with Pablo. Amazingly (saying this sarcastically), she is still with him. You see, folks, we don't really know how they are together, how great Pablo treats her when they are together. Sahar is just really enlightened about relationships and while she can pass judgment on Jemmye for allowing Knight to verbally abuse, to criticize her for her choices is just blasphemy. Because your 7 roommates who think he's a dick can be wrong, as are the million of people who watch the show. You go, Sahar! You really deserve Pablo.

I think it was during this segment that I realized something crucial that I didn't see during the season. These guys hate each other. The entire episode was spent with every roommate just berating the other. Where is the camaraderie? Now, alone, hate for each other can fuel some great drama. But it just didn't come through during the season. Clearly, this is because Ryan absorbed all of the negative energy. The reunion was the first real example that there was some good drama that never had a chance to surface. However, the big flaw in the cast was that it was full of judgmental people like Sahar and Ashlee. So the type of arguments wind up aggravating you. I don't know why, but something about people preaching values on others makes them come across poorly in my view. This is why I hate evangelicals and Red Sox fans. Ok, Sox fans don't preach their values. They just suck.

After a season of greatness, I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth. I could let it cloud my view of the season, but I won't let it. Overall this season was great. Maybe it was because of only one or two cast members, but no matter. I had fun and my faith in the Real World has been restored. Now I know I will be watching the show at least into my early 30s. Man, my fiance is going to be pissed.

See you all soon for the Challenge!!!

No comments:

 
Custom Search