Thursday, July 1, 2010

Real World: Back to New Orleans Season Premier

Will you remember where you were on June 30th, 2010.

For many people just another day. But for me, it may have been the beginning of the best season in Real World history. I cannot remember another season premier that left me so entertained and excited for the rest of the season. Just when I think the show has fallen over a cliff, the show produces this gem. I was tempted to describe my thoughts in a running diary, but I'm glad I waited. I needed to digest all that happened and come to terms with the awesomeness that was the premiere of Real World: Back to New Orleans.

The college kid in me still immediately determines how good a season will be by how attractive the girls are. The theory goes that if they aren't very attractive, they will either be very annoying, party animals, or absolutely boring. The past few seasons have seen some marginally attractive girls but no outright beauties. They have generally wound up being incredibly annoying or just boring personality-wise. So at the very least, I want an attractive girl to look at to at least blunt the awful personality potential. Well, MTV sure loaded up on the hot girls this season.

McKenzie is from Florida, blonde, beautiful, and blacks out a lot from drinking. I like her. I just get that feeling...

She has that bubbly, carefree personality where she wants to get along with everyone. I'm a fan of those types of girls. They won't be the ones starting fistfights, but they will be down to have a good time. Absolute necessity for the show. She will most likely have a prolonged flirtation with another roommate, probably Knight. I see her as a poor man's Cameron from RW: San Diego. And that is indeed a compliment.

Sahar is a liberal Muslim-American who is a much hotter, less bitchy and annoying version of Parisa from RW: Sydney. She may be the most attractive female on the show, but it seems from the first episode, she won't really be stirring the pot all that much. Ironically, she is a singer, like Parisa, but I can already tell her voice is better because she is more attractive. That's just the rule. Sahar will probably fill the role of the one who doesn't really have any continuing story lines but provides a bit of a narrative for the rest of the cast. Think Jacquese from RW: San Diego. That was a phenomenal season but he really wasn't directly a part of the stuff that made it good. However, he made real funny comments to the camera and enhanced already great situations. Sahar is going to be a quality role player, for sure. But I'm sure she won't be like the last singer, Erica from RW: D.C., since Sahara is attractive. So she can't be annoying. That is the rule.

Ashlee is from Boston and just got out of a long term relationship. That's a big plus since she will be more than ready to mingle. The guys like her for her "Angelina Jolie" lips. In other words, they think she'll give good head. Personally, I'm not feeling her. She reminds me too much of one of the horsewomen in Lord of the Rings. She seriously could've been a wife of a Rohan soldier. I don't know what to expect from this girl. She's a wild card. Could be a crazy girl who gets into fights and has no problem swapping STD's or she could be boring as hell and we won't find out about the STD's she swapped. In a weird way, I feel she could be the one who determines if this season is good or great. I already can tell who the minor players are going to be. I think if Ashlee turns out to be like Sahar, this season might fail. It's a lot of pressure for someone to have, but I think Ashlee will rise to the occasion.

Jemmye is the Real World's answer to Jersey Shore's Snookie. I said it first. Let's look at the tale of the tape:

Snookie is tan, brunette, and has a strong Jersey accent. Jemmye is tan, brunette, and has a strong Mississippi accent. Both wear ridiculously short black mini dresses that single handedly employ the guy who is responsible for blurring their crotches. They both are very promiscuous, although i think Jemmye is going to have an easier time getting laid. It's almost too much of a coincidence that those two are so similar. Here's yet another one of my theories:

The producers of the Real World got complacent and tried getting cute with the casting. It backfired with the RW: D.C. Then Jersey Shore blew up. The show is the Real World times 1,000. The Real World producers knew their show was in danger. So they are trying to hit a home run by getting the craziest cast together as possible. In this instance, they simply stole the formula that made Snookie a huge star and are hoping lightning strikes twice with Jemmye.

If the first episode is any indication, Jemmye is going to be an enormous part of the season and future Challenges. Blurred out crotch shots, check. Fight with a roommate, check. Getting into said fight while wearing only bra and panties and not seeming to care who else saw? Check and mate. A roommate called her trailer trash and everyone was shocked. But is he really that wrong?

The guys seem equally intriguing, but for more heterosexual reasons. There are your standard Real World cliches, to be sure. But the true standout may also wind up being the greatest Real Worlder in the history of the show.

Eric is someone I actually am a bit shocked is on the show. He works for the State Department in International Relations, so he already has a very important regular job. I would kill to have that kind of job. But he is now going on the Real World? Does he lose his job or does the State Department give time off to go on the Real World? He also is an aspiring comic. Oh, ok. Now I get it. Eric wants to be famous. That's cute. If only he realized that the Real World is the worst way to achieve your actual dreams of fame. In order to be truly famous on the Real World, you must become famous by being on the show and acting crazy and taking steroids. In other words, be CT. Eric is going to be the guy version of Sahar. An easy going guy who has one episode focused on him specifically but otherwise is there to move the story along for the rest.

Knight is actually his last name. His first name is Ryan but he goes by Knight. Alright then, sounds like a cool guy. Knight's the meathead so he'll wind up flirting with McKenzie or having sex with Jemmye. The wrinkle with Knight is he was addicted to painkillers, or as I call them, Rush Limbaugh drugs. Preview clips show him taking some, so he will have a decent storyline. Knight is destined to be a Challenge player, but I'm not sure he has the personality to get to the level of Kenny or Evan.

Preston is one of the better gay guys to come on the show. He's flaming so we can view him more of a character than a person. I always found it disturbing how they chose to cast the gay guy on the Real World. They really go for someone over the top, in general, which portrays a stereotypical version of gay people that could lead to unfair prejudices. But then again, they are entertaining as hell. Preston is already being compared to Boston Celtic's Rajon Rando in appearance, and I can definitely see the resemblance. He is very outgoing, speaks his mind, and isn't afraid to get into it with roommates. This guy is going to be an All-Star, for sure. I can't say much more about it him without stepping on the toes of the "potential greatest" as I will now call Ryan.

In fact, I need more time to articulate my thoughts on the "potential greatest." So all you readers are getting a Part 2 tomorrow. Stay tuned...


Jemmy describing her tattoos: "I have 6 of them. 1,2,3 (pointing them out) 4 for my mother who had breast cancer, 5 and my personal favorite is my vajajay tattoo."



2 comments:

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
harrypotterlongform said...

Eric seems like he is going to be the funny guy who puts the drama into proper perspective. He'll also have an episode where all the cast goes to his stand up, and at least one person (probably Ryan) says they didn't like it. I dunno, he seems funny to me

 
Custom Search